A real delight both as a starter and as an accompaniment!
- 1 large white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated partially skimmed mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons your choice of steak sauce, hot sauce or soy sauce
- Heat the BBQ to 350 degrees.
- Cut the onion into 6 to 8 wedges, stopping 1/2 inch from the bottom. Do not cut all the way to the bottom leaving the bottom intact.
- Cut out a piece of foil.
- Place the onion on foil and slowly open the onion, spreading the quarters apart.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheeses to the open center of the onion.
- Drizzle the whole onion with the sauce.
- Wrap tightly with foil and grill on the BBQ for 30 to 35 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Remove from the BBQ and slowly open the foil.
- Serve immediately.
SOURCE OF THE RECIPE: https://diethood.com/grilled-blooming-onion/